- Job Type: Part-Time
- Listing Status: Active
- Date Posted: 2022-10-12 08:59
Welcome! Thanks for stopping by. We’re excited that you’re considering the Nussbaum Trucking Academy as the next step in your career! To kick it off, here’s a little about Nussbaum:
- We’re employee-owned – our people have an ownership stake in this company via privately held stock.
- We’re Purpose Driven – our goal is to make a positive impact through each interaction.
- We openly celebrate faith & family. We believe God owns this business and we’re just stewards.
- The transportation industry is hectic, but we do our best to have fun along the way 😊.
- When we interview someone, we focus on who they are and who they can become, not just their resume.
Does that match what you’re looking for?
Now, for those job details:
Nussbaum has partnered with Heartland Community College to form the Nussbaum Trucking Academy. As a part-time CDL Instructor, you’re responsible to prepare students for the state-administered CDL exam and build a foundational understanding of truck driving. You will teach our evening CDL course (5:00-9:00 pm). Your core responsibilities include:
- Teach classroom and behind-the-wheel sessions with an emphasis on active learning, not just passive instruction.
- Provide feedback/critique of students’ performance, both in the classroom and behind the wheel.
- Communicate clear objectives for all learning activities.
- Monitor, evaluate, and report on students’ progression in the course.
- Prepare and maintain all necessary reports/records as required by law and school policy.
- Oversee students’ behavior and enforce rules/guidelines as needed.
- Communicate with colleagues and academy staff regarding student progress/needs.
- Continue to develop truck driving knowledge and expertise; stay current with industry developments, regulations, teaching methods, etc.
- Class times: M-F, 5:00 – 9:00 pm (eight-week courses).
- Part-Time – two instructors will tag-team the course, and we are flexible with how you schedule it. For example:
- Instructors could alternate MWF and TuTh each week for eight weeks – avg. of 10hrs per week, teach 80 hours total).
- One instructor teaches all classes for 4 weeks, then hands off to the second for the last 4 weeks (avg. of 20hrs per week, 80 hours total).
- Some other arrangement as agreed upon by the instructors.
- Nussbaum Transportation Terminal.
- Heartland Community College.
- On-the-Road sessions.
Benefits & Perks
Part-time employees enjoy a 401(k) match, a company-funded ESOP account (supplemental retirement benefit in addition to the 401k), and professional development opportunities. Pay is $25-28 per hour. Nussbaum employees who drive or work in another department to reach 40 hours per week (full-time) also receive these benefits, plus:
- Insurance coverage for you + family.
- Flexible Spend Account (FSA) options for healthcare and child daycare.
- Escalating PTO and paid holidays.
- Food Days! Once per month, enjoy a free gourmet lunch served by your fellow employee-owners (the committee rotates month to month).
- GrowRED Professional Development – earn points as you engage in learning opportunities!
Here’s the type of person we’re looking for:
- Communicator – honest, respectful, and consistent.
- Team player – mature, seeks win-win scenarios, gives/receives feedback with grace and honesty.
- Learner – always seeking to grow, both personally and professionally.
- Self-motivated – identifies new opportunities and takes initiative to solve problems.
Experience & Qualifications
- Class A CDL.
- At least two years of professional driving experience with a CDL A.
- Clean driving record.
- Strong understanding of equipment (trucks & trailers) and DOT regulations.
- Basic skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Able to maintain accurate records (grades, attendance, reports, etc.)
- Able to work in a standard office setting, use a computer, and work outside in extreme hot/cold temperatures; strength to lift and carry up to 20 lbs.
Submit the form below to let us know you are interested in this position and send us your resume.